20/Feb/2017, 9-16h: Introduction to openFrameworks; Animation; Generative graphics
21/Feb/2017, 9-16h: Particle systems; Physics (*); Audio
22/Feb/2017, 9-16h: Audio-visuals; Project development
23/Feb/2017, 9-16h: Project development
24/Feb/2017, 9-16h: Project development and presentation
The course is focused on the generative aspects of media design and coding, interaction design and the control of media elements in interactive projects. Students will experiment with a broad range of media elements with an emphasis on controlling media behavior through code. Special emphasis will be given to crossings between sound and image: sound visualisation; sonification; audiovisual composition; visual music; etc.
The main development environment for the course will be openFrameworks (http://www.openframeworks.cc/), although other environments will be explored. Students should have previously attended the Software Studies for Media Designers course, or demonstrate having acquired equivalent skills. Students are required to plan, develop, document and present a project at the end of the course. An introduction to openFrameworks: http://mlab.taik.fi/mediacode/archives/13368.
Check what students have done in previous years in the menu above, in the Multimedia Authoring course (previous name for the course). We’ve been using openFrameworks in this course since 2011. You can also check a library of exercises, some of which we’ll replicate in class, here: http://mlab.taik.fi/mediacode/archives/13371.
(*) using ofxBox2D – stable branch
- ofBook (work in progress) http://openframeworks.cc/ofBook/chapters/foreword.html
- Noble, J., 2012. “Programming Interactivity: A Designer’s Guide to Processing, Arduino, and openFrameworks” (2nd Edition), O’Reilly Media. (new version coming out in May 2016)
- Perevalov, D., 2013. “Mastering openFrameworks: Creative Coding Demystified”, Packt
- Perevalov, D. & Tatarnikov, I., 2015. “openFrameworks Essentials”, Packt
For Processing, but easily adapted to oF:
- Shiffman, D., 2012. The Nature of Code: Simulating Natural Systems with Processing. http://natureofcode.com.
Examples ported to oF: https://github.com/superartificial/Nature-Of-Code-Open-Frameworks-Port
- Bohnacker, H., Gross, B., & Laub, J., 2012. Generative Design: Visualize, Program, and Create with Processing. (C. Lazzeroni, Ed.). New York: Princeton Architectural Press.
- Pearson, M., 2011. Generative Art: A Practical Guide Using Processing (1 edition). Shelter Island, NY?: London: Manning Publications.
- Alex van Giersbergen – https://github.com/wtf0/tesselSnake
- Elisa Spigai – Elisa Spigai – elisa_spigai_myProject
- Joaquin Aldunate Infante – https://github.com/autotel/openFrameworks-Granular-1
- Maija Järviniemi – Maija Järviniemi – bodybeats_maija_jarviniemi
- Soujanyaa Boruah – https://github.com/sboruah/thescribbletone
- Sourya Sen – https://github.com/sourya-sen/aaltoprojects/tree/master/polarOscillators
- Timi Koponen – Synesthesia_TimiKoponen
- William Turner – Liam Turner – BrightestPointTrack_LiamTurner