13/May/2019, 9:15-17h: Introduction to openFrameworks; Animation; Interaction; Forces
14/May/2019, 9:15-17h: Particle systems; Autonomous agents; Physics libraries; Audio
15/May/2019, 9:15-17h: Audio-visuals; Project development
16/May/2019, 9:15-17h: Project development
17/May/2019, 9:15-17h: Project development and presentation
The course is focused on the generative aspects of media design and coding, interaction design and the control of media elements in interactive projects. Students will experiment with a broad range of media elements with an emphasis on controlling media behavior through code. Special emphasis will be given to crossings between sound and image: sound visualisation; sonification; audiovisual composition; visual music; etc. Course code is available at https://github.com/aalto-mediacode
The main development environment for the course will be openFrameworks (http://www.openframeworks.cc/), although other environments will be explored. Students should have previously attended the Software Studies for Media Designers course, or demonstrate having acquired equivalent skills. Students are required to plan, develop, document and present a project at the end of the course. An introduction to openFrameworks: http://mlab.taik.fi/mediacode/archives/13368.
Check what students have done in the last couple of years here and in previous years here (previously the course was called Multimedia Authoring, we used openFrameworks in that course between 2011-16). You can also check a library of exercises, some of which we’ll replicate in class, here: http://mlab.taik.fi/mediacode/archives/13371.
- ofBook (work in progress) http://openframeworks.cc/ofBook/chapters/foreword.html
- Noble, J., 2012. “Programming Interactivity: A Designer’s Guide to Processing, Arduino, and openFrameworks” (2nd Edition), O’Reilly Media. (new version coming out in May 2016)
- Perevalov, D., 2013. “Mastering openFrameworks: Creative Coding Demystified”, Packt
- Perevalov, D. & Tatarnikov, I., 2015. “openFrameworks Essentials”, Packt
- Shiffman, D., 2012. The Nature of Code: Simulating Natural Systems with Processing. http://natureofcode.com.
Examples ported to oF: https://github.com/superartificial/Nature-Of-Code-Open-Frameworks-Port
For Processing, but easily adapted to oF:
- Bohnacker, H., Gross, B., & Laub, J., 2012. Generative Design: Visualize, Program, and Create with Processing. (C. Lazzeroni, Ed.). New York: Princeton Architectural Press.
- Pearson, M., 2011. Generative Art: A Practical Guide Using Processing (1st edition). Shelter Island, NY, London: Manning Publications.