The course focuses on exploring multitouch interaction to create engaging experiences with digital media. Multiple devices will be used, with an emphasis on mobile phones/tablets and the iOS platform. Other devices and platforms will also be discussed.
The main development environment for the course will consist of openFrameworks (oF) with Xcode. Students should have previously attended the Software Studies for Media Designers course, or demonstrate having acquired equivalent skills. Students are required to plan, develop, document and present a project at the end of the course.
Introduction and development environment (oF, C++, Xcode)
Graphics, accelerometer, touch interaction
Multitouch, bitmap image
Project proposal presentations
- ofBook (work in progress) http://openframeworks.cc/ofBook/chapters/foreword.html
- Noble, J., 2012. “Programming Interactivity: A Designer’s Guide to Processing, Arduino, and openFrameworks” (2nd Edition), O’Reilly Media.
- Perevalov, D., 2013. “Mastering openFrameworks: Creative Coding Demystified”, Packt
- Perevalov, D. & Tatarnikov, I., 2015. “openFrameworks Essentials”, Packt
- Hoober, S., & Berkman, E., 2011. “Designing Mobile Interfaces”. O’Reilly Media.
You will also need to authorise the developer in the iOS device, in:
Settings > General > Device Management
There is a recent limit of 3 apps at one time, installed with free developer profile in your device, so you may have to delete some older ones as we go through the exercises.
Link to links: